Have you ever made dinner for the family and kind of known that they’re not going to LOVE it, but you know you will? So you keep on talking it up while you’re cooking and everyone compliments the aroma. You secretly know that unless there’s a miracle, you’re about to get complaints after their first bites? This was one of those dinners. Folks, if you’re a real food lover like me (uh em), you’re going to love this. I found it on www.epicurious.com (shocker) but I made a few changes. Needless to say there were plenty of leftovers, so I portioned them out into single servings and froze them. I also enjoyed some for lunch the next day… DYNAMITE.
Now I know my husband wasn’t a true fan because it was almost vegetarian and the kids weren’t because they don’t LOVE soup. They did LOVE the rosemary bread I served with it.
What You Will Need:
2 (14.5 oz) cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 (14.5 oz) cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
5+ C low sodium chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
4 small garlic cloves, chopped
½ C grated parmesan cheese
5 slices of turkey bacon
½ box of frozen spinach
What You Already Have:
2 T olive oil
¼ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Plate lined with paper towel
1) Heat olive oil over medium heat in large pot. Add onion and garlic. Cook down for about 5 minutes.
2) Cook bacon in skillet.
3) Add 2 pieces of bacon, basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, nutmeg, beans and broth and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer for 10 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towel. Remove 2 pieces from pot and drain on paper towel.
5) Add 2 cups of bean mixture to food processor and purée. Transfer to bowl. Repeat until all of bean mixture is puréed. Add back into large pot.
6) Chop bacon and add to soup mixture with spinach. Mix.
7) Heat soup over medium heat.
8) Add more broth until desired consistency.
9) Lower heat.
10) Serve with bread.
Oh yeah, onto the PARTAY!