Remember this yummy caramel sauce? It didn’t last very long in our house. I was overjoyed when the Lady Behind the Curtain introduced the Improv Cooking Challenge. This month’s mandatory ingredients are CARAMEL and APPLES. Yay! First thing that came to mind was an apple pie with caramel sauce, but time didn’t allow it. Instead I made something a little more realistic. Caramel Swirl Apple Bread. I wanted to make a quick bread for some friends of mine, but I also had to keep a little bit for my family. This recipe was perfect because it made two loaves. The caramel adds a sweetness to it that is unbelievable. This is sinfully delicious.
What You Will Need:
3 apples, cored and cut into wedges
What You Already Have:
2 1/4 C flour
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 C corn syrup
1 C brown sugar
1 C sugar
½ C reduced fat milk
2 T reduced fat milk
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 stick of unsalted butter, divided
¼ tsp salt
Medium sauce pan
Two loaf pans
Non stick cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 350˚.
2) Make caramel first, so it can cool slightly.
3) Heat corn syrup, brown sugar, ½ C milk, pinch of salt over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 3-4 minutes until darker brown.
4) Remove from heat and stir in ½ stick of butter. Whisk until butter is completely mixed in and caramel is shiny.
5) Spray loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
6) Add sugar, ½ stick of butter, eggs, remaining milk, vanilla, pinch of cinnamon and salt to food processor. Purée until blended.
7) Add apples and pulse until coarse.
8) Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder. Pulse until dough forms.
9) Fill loaf pans with half of dough.
10) Swirl in caramel.
11) Cover with remaining dough.
12) Swirl caramel over top.
13) Bake for 35-40 minutes or until completely baked through.
Powered by Blogger.