Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Ham and Bean Soup
I made some pretty tasty soup the other night when the temperature dropped. It was perfect because all of us seemed to be catching a little cold. Our sniffles needed some tender loving care.
I had found a great recipe on my favorite site of the week, www.bhg.com, and stayed very close to their suggestions. I adapted it to our liking.
I had this soup three days in a row. The kids were tired of it after the first night because they weren’t fans of the beans. I thought they added a nice touch. Tell me what you think.
What You Will Need:
8 oz maple smoked ham, diced
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can petit diced tomatoes
½ (15 oz) can sweet corn, drained
2 celery stalks, chopped
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
½ C chopped carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp paprika 1 tsp brown sugar
1 T yellow mustard
pinch of cinnamon
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp ground oregano
½ tsp ground thyme
pinch of salt and pepper
1 T molasses
1) Heat 1 T olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
2) Add carrots, onion, celery and garlic to pot. Sauté until carrots are slightly soft.
3) Add ham, beans, diced tomatoes, corn and broth to pot.
4) Season with paprika, sugar, mustard, cinnamon, cumin, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and molasses.
5) Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Powered by Blogger.