I'm all about slow cookers lately. They are saving my life these days! I have been leaving the house with dinner already cooking by 9 o'clock. It's wonderful to come home in the late afternoon with little to do for dinner. I open up the top add a few more sides to our plates and Voila! Dinner is served.
Most of the time everyone enjoys what is on their plate or in their bowl. This one needed a little more doctoring, but not much. I forgot about the bacon garnish, but the rice adds a great touch. This soup is as creamy as a nice risotto, but not too rich. Serve it with some nice artisan bread and it's the perfect bowl of comfort during a cold winter's night. Add this one to the list of tasty Better Homes and Gardens recipes.
What You Will Need:
1 lb boneless and skinless chicken thighs
1 (14.5 oz) can creamed corn
3 T flour
2 T unsalted butter
4 1/2 C chicken broth
1 handful of baby carrots chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 C cooked brown rice
1) Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
2) Stir in flour until paste and then stir in 2 1/2 C broth.
3) Bring to boil and thicken until reduced.
4) Add chicken, flour mixture, remaining chicken broth, corn, carrots, celery and onion to slow-cooker. Cook for 5 hours.
5) Add cooked rice to soup mixture.
6) Serve warm.